3 Min Read
Do you have love handles, a lower belly pooch, bra fat rolls, or a double chin that you would rather not have?
There is no denying that some weight gain is a natural part of the aging process. Your body goes through a series of changes—from hormones to pregnancy—and reacts to a collection of lifestyle factors—such as diet, stress levels, and physical activities.
Since most individuals would not mind being rid of their stubborn pockets of fat, surgical fat reduction is often beneficial.
Liposuction utilizes small incisions and suctioning technology to safely remove fat from the abdomen, hips, waist, thighs, buttocks, back, chest, neck, and arms.
Is Liposuction Right for Me?
Liposuction helps many individuals attain a slimmer, tighter, and more sculpted physique.
This surgical procedure is designed for men and women who:
- Lead a healthy lifestyle and are dedicated to maintaining that lifestyle
- Are close to their ideal weight
- Have stubborn pockets of fat remaining after weight loss or pregnancy
- Experience fat in localized regions, such as the abdomen, hips, or thighs
- Retain skin elasticity and strength
- Are in good overall health
- Are considering liposuction for the right reasons
- Realize that liposuction is not an easy way out
- Are willing to maintain their results with a healthy lifestyle
When Does Liposuction Not Work?
Liposuction removes residual fat pockets from men and women of all ages.
Unfortunately, while liposuction provides significant results, it is not a catch-all or fix-all procedure.
Liposuction has its limitations, and when those limitations are disregarded, you may be left with lackluster aesthetic results.
Should Liposuction Be Used for Weight Loss?
Liposuction removes excess fat, so, therefore, it is essentially weight loss. This, however, is somewhat of an exaggeration.
The more accurate statement would be that liposuction removes small, localized pockets of diet and exercise-resistant fat.
Liposuction only addresses a small percentage of fat cells, and the resulting loss will be insignificant on the scales. This procedure will not bring about a substantial reduction in pounds; it will, however, sculpt the body to restore slimmer and firmer lines and contours.
Therefore, liposuction is not a substitute for significant weight loss and not an alternative to a healthy lifestyle.
Can Liposuction Be Focused for Skin Tightening?
Liposuction is a body contouring procedure, but it is contouring that only addresses what is going on beneath the skin. Liposuction cannot tighten or remove significantly lax or hanging skin.
Loose skin that results from significant weight loss, pregnancy, or the natural aging process requires an additional contouring procedure, such as tummy tuck surgery, that does remove excess skin.
What Are My Liposuction Options?
Men and women who are interested in liposuction have different options for their fat removal.
What Is Tumescent Liposuction?
Tumescent liposuction is the traditional liposuction technique; however, as it has been providing patients significant fat reduction for decades, it is still often the technique of choice.
During a tumescent liposuction procedure:
- Small incisions are made
- A sterile solution is injected into the fat, causing it to swell
- The unwanted fat cells are removed with gentle suction
- The incisions are small and close on their own, or they may be stitched
What Is SAFELipo®?
SAFELipo® is a multi-step liposuction technique that often provides more dramatic, smoother body contouring results.
During a SAFELipo® procedure:
- Small incisions are made
- The fat is loosened, emulsified, and separated from the surrounding cells
- The unwanted fat cells are gently removed
- The remaining fat layer is equalized and smoothed without generating heat
Would You Like to Learn More About Liposuction?
If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of liposuction or would like to set up a consultation with Dr. Hiatt in Mesa, Arizona, contact our office by calling (480) 844-1410 or by filling out our online contact form.